Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

i live in the state of ga now but i received tempory custody

i live in the state of ga now but i received tempory custody of my grandson in the state of fla my grandson got in some trouble at school and when we went to court the judge said i had a temporary order and took the child from me and gave him to his mom who had not seen him in 15 years then when that did not work put him in a group home in the state of ga
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The problem with temporary orders is they are just that, temporary. At some point you should have moved to make the custody/guardianship permanent. You will need to take the FL temporary order and hire an attorney in GA to now seek to get a permanent order and to get the order of the FL court recognized in GA. Absent getting the FL order recognized or getting the GA court to issue a new court order, you will have a tough time getting the custody back.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”