LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

At what age can a child decide to live with their grandparents

Customer Question

At what age can a child decide to live with their grandparents without the permission of their parents?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.

Good evening,

A child cannot chose to leave their parents, and instead live with grandparents until such time as the child is legally emancipated. In all states this is 18 years or older.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told by the police that they can not force a run away child to return home. What was he talking about then.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.

Good evening,

I have no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps he means that his department does not bother to do that because they feel they are too busy.

If the is the case I suggest that you petition the court to issue an order directing the police to pick your child up and return them home. Until the child is 18 in CA, unless they have been legally emancipated, they remain under the control of their parents.

I raised 5 children in CA. That is the law.

I wish you the best,