How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer Lori Your Own Question
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two children with two different mothers. One child

This answer was rated:

I have two children with two different mothers. One child lives at home with her mother and me and the other child lives away with her mother (my exwife). I am considered the noncustodial parent for my child that lives away. How do I calculate the amount of child support I should give to the child that doesn't live with me and still be fair to the child that lives with me?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What state do you live in, and what state does your ex-wife and the child live in?
-Is there a support order relating to the child that lives apart from you and in what state?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We all live in Florida. No, there is no support order. We agreed to come to an amount on our on terms. Originally there was only one child, the one that lives with my exwife. But now I have a new child at home. So I need to come up with a new amount to help support my first child.


If there were a support order in effect, Florida would not consider the birth of your subsequent child as a reason to reduce required child support but it is a factor for the court to consider in a proceeding to increase the existing award. Other factors taken into consideration would include whether you obtained a second job to support the new child (this would not be added to your income in calculating support for the first child) and your spouse's income (or potential income) might also be considered as to whether the court would deviate from the guideline amount.

A fair method to determine child support after the birth of another child, and as applied by other states, is to first calculate what the child support would be for this additional child without taking the first child into consideration. Then a second calculation for the first child would be performed, reducing your income by the amount of child support that would be due for the second child.

So simply follow these steps:

  1. Using Florida's on-line calculator, calculate child support for your newest child based on your income and the mother's income.
  2. Calculate a reduced income for yourself at 50% of the amount of child support owed for the newest child.
  3. Re-calculate child support for your first child with the reduced income.

Please be aware that if this does end up in court, an order would most likely be entered that does not factor in the birth of your second child. I hope this is helpful.

Lawyer Lori and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you