kydoll
260309
Family Law

What can a 17 year old do to move out in Kansas

I'm a 17 year old... Show More
I'm a 17 year old in Kansas. I need to find out if there are any ways to move out on my own or with my brother or boyfriend. My dad is mentally abusive. He will say that I look like im 5 months pregnant and meantions on how small my chest is. I dont like him or his new fiance. I want to move out but I dont want to make him angry because he isnt that nice when he is angry. He has been physically abusive in the past but the cops here say that unless they have proof they cant do any thing about it. I really want to get out because his fiance threatens to leave him and then he gets angry which isnt good for any one. What kind advice would you give me?
Category: Family Law
replied 8 years ago.

You could go to court and request emancipation. For the state to emancipate you; however, you need to prove to them that you can care for yourself. In Kansas, if you take someone with you that is 21, you can file for emancipation by filing a petition stating your age, that you have lived in Kansas for at least a year and giving the reasons why you want to be recognized as an adult. Here is a link that may help further by providing the exact language regarding emancipation of a minor in your state.

http://www.youthrights.net/index.php?title=Kansas_Emancipation_Law

Please let me know if I can help further.