How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im going back to court for the final judgement

Customer Question

i'm going back to court for the "final" judgement ex husband can't keep a job, and is over 9,000 behind in child support...he just gave me a $350.00 check today. Its so obvious to me its a desperate attempt before court. He is pro se in court. My question is, can jail time happen for this man? how will a judge see him with that much arraange in support?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
The court will see if his conduct has been "wilful" in evading to pay child support and the number of times you have had to enforce on the arrears. If he is able to pay but just intentionally refuses to pay that is considered wilful.

Under the Federal Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act, he can do jailtime under the following basis.

The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998 (18 U. S. C. Sec. 228) subjects parents to up to two years in prison, plus a fine, and mandatory restitution if they:

1. owe at least $ 10,000;

2. are at least two years behind in their payments and have been cited two or more times for failure to obey their child support orders; or

3. travel across state lines or abroad to evade child support responsibilities if the obligation remains unpaid for longer than one year or is greater than $ 5,000.

The penalty also applies to a second offense of wilfully failing to pay past due support for a child living in another state in an amount exceeding $ 5,000 or for more than one year.






Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.



Related Family Law Questions