Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

what ohio law can i cite in my motion for extra ordinary expenses

what ohio law can i cite in my motion for extra ordinary expenses of tuition and lessons?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

In order for me to better answer, could you please let me know whether the tuition and lessons are for college?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No theyare not for college, the three children age 16, 16, and 14 are in private, catholic highschool..The twin boys also playhockey, and my daughter is in the company with the ballet, the costs have always been paid by the mother. I am interested in referencing other cases in Ohio in my motion forextra ordinary expenses. My ex-husband has a six fingure income and I am a teacher. The oligor has no shared parenting, and very little visitation.

Thanks for that additional information.

Beck v. Beck Ohio App. 8 Dist 2004 - the court found that the "former wife was entitled to increase of child support award based on changed circumstances in form of increased private school tuition"

I don't know how much your ex is making but if your and his combined earnings are more than $150,000, then Ohio Statute Ch. 3119.04 allows the court to determine your ex's child support obligation on a case-by-case basis as follows: "(A) If the combined gross income of both parents is greater than one hundred fifty thousand dollars per year, the court, with respect to a court child support order, or the child support enforcement agency, with respect to an administrative child support order, shall determine the amount of the obligor's child support obligation on a case-by-case basis and shall consider the needs and the standard of living of the children who are the subject of the child support order and of the parents. The court or agency shall compute a basic combined child support obligation that is no less than the obligation that would have been computed under the basic child support schedule and applicable worksheet for a combined gross income of one hundred fifty thousand dollars, unless the court or agency determines that it would be unjust or inappropriate and would not be in the best interest of the child, obligor, or obligee to order that amount. If the court or agency makes such a determination, it shall enter in the journal the figure, determination, and findings." You can also use this statute to support your argument that your ex should be responsible in whole or in part for your children's extracurric expenses.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you well here.

Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience: more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice