Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

I am going to trial this week and representing myself (divorce)

I am going to trial this week and representing myself (divorce) Do I need to make an opening statement and also do I need to make copies of papers I will be presenting in court for the Judge. Also do I have to make a closing statement
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Making an opening and/or closing statement is optional. In my experience, these statements are not widely used in divorce trials. The evidence is put on by witness testimony and exhibits. However, you may choose to make an opening and/or closing statement to summarize your case.

You should make copies of any papers you intend to put into evidence. You should keep a copy for yourself, make a copy for the opposing side, and the original will be admitted into evidence.