How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40669
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is about New York state child Support. If your

Resolved Question:

My question is about New York state child Support. "If your current support is paid in full BUT there is a judgment for arrears still out there AFTER the support obligation is over at age 21" can the SCU'S still try and collect in there usual barbaric fashions OR are they legally out of the picture now that the child is legally emancipated by age 21?", i.e can they still come after the judgment money? thanksCustomer
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Child support arrears are like unpaid bills. If you owe by virtue of a prior support order then you owe plus interest. They can and will try to collect here on it. That woudl include license suspension, wage assignment, passport suspension, or anything that they can do here.

Sorry but that is the way it is. If you think that you haven't been given credit here or owe more than you should then you can file a motion to modify arrears in this matter to reduce the amount of the arrears.

This is certainly a realistic possibility here to bring it back before the court. You have little to loose here and much to gain. You may want to consider obtaining a lawyer to help you file and dispute I wish you good luck in the matter..

Legal reference..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so what you are saying is that even though the support is done and they would have no active account they still would go after a 'judgment? I still don't understand how they can go after something that is filed. We have already requested a review of the account as there is a $1400 discrepency just in a 18 month period, i can only imagine the mistakes made over the 17 years of this nitemare. also How can the incurr interest to the tine of 9%? How and who do you write to about this nitemare. No offense sir but if i had a dime for every time someone told us to get a lawyer I'd be very rich. we are fighting the amount and now I am suppose to hire a lawyer for $4000. to fight it? The lawyers are only as good as "the relationship they have with the judge in this hick town and obviously he doesn't like our lawyer from what i have seen. the whole sytem is a sick joke. I guess it would be earier to swallow if we had gotton to even see this childfor the past 12 years. but thats what you get when you have a system that encourages woman to use it to there advantage. Even if it means destroying a Father and son relationship...shes getting paid and they help her... your answer was appropriate until you said "get an Attorney...
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Well you have the right to contest it. Once you receive the print out if you have been overcharged or not credited then you can motion the to modify. you can draft your own motion here. But you have the burden to do so or they will try to enforce what they claim you owe.

I understand your frustration but dealing with a collection agency which really is what they are can be difficult here.They are good at taking money but not so good at adjusting, correcting, etc. Often they will return the calls of lawyer but they won't return ones to you. It shouldn't be that way but unfortunately it is.

But please continue to pursue them either on your own or with a lawyer. They may well have overcharged you as it does happen all the time..

Possible forms you can use here..
RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you