How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my ex-girlfriend had a son about 5 years ago. I was

Resolved Question:

Me and my ex-girlfriend had a son about 5 years ago. I was in prison for his birth then got out when he was 1. I was only out for two months and then went back until this last August. My whole time in prison i never got a notice from the court about a child support hearing. I am told by my son's mother that I owe 13,000 in back child support. I was under the impression that child support does not accrue while someone is in prison. I am wondering if this is true and if so what i can do to amend the order so that i owe what i should. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
You could easily owe that much in CS. It does not stop running just because you are in prison. Check with the CS office at the court.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told that if i didn't have any income then i wouldn't owe child support during that period. Also, I was looking more for a process or a motion i could file to get a hearing to adjust the amount i owe. thanks
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

The place to start is the family court. Get a complete copy of the file and see what happened. My understanding is that she can waive the arrears but that is the only way I know that works for sure. You can file a petition to modify the amount of child support and ask that the arrears be reduced and see what the judge says. Here are the child support guidelines


lwpat and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you