lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

Me and my ex-girlfriend had a son about 5 years ago. I was

Me and my ex-girlfriend had a son about 5 years ago. I was in prison for his birth then got out when he was 1. I was only out for two months and then went back until this last August. My whole time in prison i never got a notice from the court about a child support hearing. I am told by my son's mother that I owe 13,000 in back child support. I was under the impression that child support does not accrue while someone is in prison. I am wondering if this is true and if so what i can do to amend the order so that i owe what i should. Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You could easily owe that much in CS. It does not stop running just because you are in prison. Check with the CS office at the court.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that if i didn't have any income then i wouldn't owe child support during that period. Also, I was looking more for a process or a motion i could file to get a hearing to adjust the amount i owe. thanks
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.

The place to start is the family court. Get a complete copy of the file and see what happened. My understanding is that she can waive the arrears but that is the only way I know that works for sure. You can file a petition to modify the amount of child support and ask that the arrears be reduced and see what the judge says. Here are the child support guidelines