A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem

I am a non-custodial parent. I want to take my son to a wedding

I am a non-custodial parent. I want to take my son to a wedding in September. To do this my son would need to miss a day of school. My ex-wife refuses to let him miss a day of school. What are my legal options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  A.D. Barnett replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm afraid that as things are, this would be mom's call. If she is entitled to custody of him on that particular day, nothing short of intervention is going to change things. Unless there is something in your decree that provides for you to have visitation for your family functions, that's where things will lie.

If there is a parenting co-ordinator to whom you can appeal, take advantage of that option.

I'm sorry the news isn't better. Sadly, the grief doesn't end between parties with the issuance of a decree.

Your still have time to pursue her consent. Approach her from the standpoint that you are *asking*, not demanding, and hope that the voice of reason prevails. If you consistently run into disagreements regarding visitation, you may want to speak with your attorney as to whether a Motion to Modify your decree might be appropriate.

Best of luck! If I helped, please click "accept." Thanks!