Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

I am 21 and a resident of South Carolina. My parents and I

I am 21 and a resident of South Carolina. My parents and I had a falling out and now I need money for college and they wont give me a cent. The problem is I cant get any money for school because my father makes over $100,000 a year and also I am a white male. Someone told me that if i get emancipated it would solve my problem.? The financial aid office told me that parents are expected to contribute until the age of 24. Also I own my home it is payed off car payed off and I have annuity that pays $2,300 a month nontaxable for the next 15 years a result of a motorcycle accident. But all of my money is in my annuity. If able I would like to know how to petition the court for emancipation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
You will not be able to petition the court because you are already emancipated since you"re 21. The court lacks legal authority to do anything. Colleges set standards where they expect parental assistance if alive but no court can help with a school"s presumption.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But its not the school that expects parental assistance its the federal government when applying for financial aid. Do you know if there is anything that i can do to solve my problem?
There is no court that has legal authority to emancipate somone who is already emancipated as a matter of law.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any advice for getting around this problem?
There is no way to get around it. This is the problem. If there was a way around it then every student would just have to obtain a job sufficient to rent an apartment then state their parents refuse to assist with college. I understand your problem and unfortunately some parents are not willing or able to provide the assistance expected. If the college believes you they can provide additional assistance through local grants or endowments but there is no legal way around your problem. If there was a way I would tell you. Im a strong proponent of education.