How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 14 year old son in the state of Georgia. He lives

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old son in the state of Georgia. He lives with his mother and I pay child support. She is extremly religious and very restrictive of him. He is constanyly telling him if he do not like her rules, he can come live with me. I want my son to live with me and he wants to live with me as well. At what age in Georgia can a child decide for themselves which parent they wish to live with>
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.


In Georgia, 14 is the age at which the child can decide who he wants to live with. The child's decision is controlling unless the parent he wishes to live with is determined not to be in the best interests of the child. This is codified in Georgia Statutes Section 19-9-3 as follows:


"In all custody cases in which the child has reached the age of 14 years, the child shall have the right to select the parent with whom he or she desires to live. The child's selection for purposes of custody shall be presumptive unless the parent so selected is determined not to be in the best interests of the child. The parental selection by a child who has reached the age of 14 may, in and of itself, constitute a material change of condition or circumstance in any action seeking a modification or change in the custody of that child; provided, however, that such selection may only be made once within a period of two years from the date of the previous selection and the best interests of the child standard shall apply."



Lady Themis and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: Other
this is the answer i was seeking. i tried to make the $15 payment. did you receive it?