Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

What is the Woodward formula and where can I get a copy

What is the Woodward formula and where can I get a copy?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Woodward was a UT Supreme Court Case from 1983 and the formula developed in that case divides the number of years the person actually works before retiring into the number of years that benefits were accruing during the marriage to establish a percentage. This percentage is divided in half and each spouse gets their respective share. For instance, say a person started working at a company 20 years ago. Five years later that person marries. The divorce occurs after 15 years. The person continues to work after the divorce for another 10 years before retiring. Therefore, the number of years the person worked at retirement (30) is divided into the number of years married (15). This is 50%. The other spouse will get ½ of 50% or 25% of the retirement. The retiring spouse will get 75%. At the time of the divorce, the employer is notified of the retirement division through a document typically referred as a QDRO. When the spouse actually retires, the retirement plan administrator will then issue two checks, one each for the respective shares.

Woodward v. Woodward, 656 P.2d 431 (Utah 1982)

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Where can a copy of this document/worksheet be obtained?

Particulars of my case:

Retired firefighter, hired August 1977

Married October 1991

Retired August 2005, drawing pension since then

Spouse left, moved out January 2009

As a firefighter in Utah retirement system, we did not pay FICA into Social Security System. Does this have any bearing or factor into the formula?

I am 58, spouse is 47

If you click on the link above it takes you to the Woodward v. Woodward case to read. Some attorneys may have worksheets for this, but I do not have one nor do I know any attorneys who have them., sorry.

The formula is used for ALL pensions, even federal and municipal pensions.