CALawyer
CALawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  California Family Law Attorney
2669768

I want to adopt my nephews unborn son. I am a resident of

I want to adopt my nephews unborn son. I am a resident of Alaska and he lives in Nevada. What do I need to do to accomplish this?
Would the parents consent to the adoption?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes the parents will consent to the adoption.
If the parents consent to the adoption, then you file a petition with the district court in the county where the child lives/is born.

Along with the petition, you can file consent forms for both the parents.

Then an agency gets appointed to do an investigation and report to the Court. You will be required to be fingerprinted and an investigation about you, your home, and members of your household will be completed. The typical charge for this investigation is about $3000 for out of state adoptive parents. However, if the child case special needs, is a ward of the state, or in certain other situations the fees can be waived.

If the investigation comes back ok and everything is in line, the Court will grant the adoption and enter an order terminating the other parents rights and giving you and the child a parent/child relationship.

CLICK HERE TO READ NV ADOPTION STATUTES.

CLICK HERE FOR NEVADA DIVISION OF CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES ADOPTION GUIDE.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you need any clarification, just post a reply. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what about having third degree of consanguinity? Do I still have to have an investigation?
The investigation is still required. The only difference is that being closely related means that you can file the petition and be awarded temporary guardianship before the investigation is completed.

If you weren't related, you would have to wait until after the investigation to file the petition.