Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

My best friend is offering to have a baby for me as I cant.

My best friend is offering to have a baby for me as I can't. The father would be my husband so my question is do we need to adopt the baby or can she just give it to me? We have talked about just notarizing a document stating that my husband and I will raise the baby and she is not responsible for anything.
Your friend would need to voluntarily her parental rights so you can adopt the child and become the mother. You husband would already be the father of the child. A notarized letter would not have any significant affect and offer you almost no protection. I strongly recommend you retain an attorney to handle this for you from the very start and that you dont attempt to have a child until after you have resolved all legal and financial issue with an attorney.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What all types of legal and financial issues?
Who will be the mother? What access/visitation the bio-mother will have? What information will be shared with the child? Who pays for the medical expense of birth? Disclosure of medical information? Any financial compensation for carrying the child? What happens is either you or your friend breaches the contract, will you sue or arbitration? The list of concerns and questions go on. This is why you really need a lawyer to handle this entire process for you.