Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

In a domestic partnership, what is the best way to hold title

In a domestic partnership, what is the best way to hold title to real estate properties?
California recognizes the following joint ownership titles:

1) Tenancy in Common

2) Joint tenancy

3) community property.

As California recognizes domestic partnerships it is possible to hold title as community property with rights of survivorship, which means that upon the death of one the other inherits automatically without doing probate. A Joint tenancy works the same way but applies to any individual wanting to share joint ownership with survivorship rights.

A Tenants in common means that upon the death of one, their part of the estate can be willed or distributed to heirs if there is no will.

So out of these options the community property with survivorship rights would be the best option as the other spouse can inherit automatically without having to worry about probate.

Further reading can be acquired here

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.