Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I endured 14 years of physical/mental abuse from my husband

I endured 14 years of physical/mental abuse from my husband and eventully left for good with just the clothes on my back. He kept everything we owned. 20 years later I am ready to sue him for money that I put into my marriage. Do I have rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
What state did you reside with your husband? Did you get divorced or enter into a property settlement agreement?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We lived in Los Lunas New Mexico.We did get a divorced but I returned to the home and lived with him for 5 years.I contributed to the living expenses and made payments on the home.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately you cannot now bring an action for property rights stemming from the marriage. Regardless of having lived together after the divorce, your divorce settled y our marital property rights.

So sorry.