P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My ex-husband leaves harrassing phone messages on my home voice

My ex-husband leaves harrassing phone messages on my home voice mail and my cell phone when we disagree about something (usually if he wants a schedule change for visitation with our daughter and I have other plans with her or if I need to ask him when he will send a child support check). If he doesn't get his way he will call me back and when I don't answer he leaves long angry messages calling me names and telling me what a selfish mother I am. It goes on and on. The police can't do anything because he stops short of actually threatening me. He will say that I'll be sorry or that he will make my life miserable. I have become extremely anxious and am losing sleep. Can I prevent him from calling except in an emergency?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me what state you are in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in Illinois, close to Chicago.
Thanks

You can apply for a temporary restraining order from your ex...typically such orders are granted if you have a concern for your safety...but if you do, then you can ask the court to limit your ex's contact with you.

You will need to show that you have a concern for your safety and that this measure will help the situation.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.