Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

how can a mother sign her custody rights to her mother without

how can a mother sign her custody rights to her mother without informing the father first. Is it legal to do this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
A mother cannot simply transfer her custodial rights to another. A judge will hold a hearing and the father must be notified as to the pending custody change. A judge would like stop any hearing where the father is not present and has not been served notice of the pending change.

Grandparents rights are limited in many States. If the father objects, and wants sole custody unless a court determines he is unfit, will probably be first in line to get the child.

Your better approach is to get the father to agree, or at least not challenge custody.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What can be done about the previous question