famlaw lawyer
famlaw lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. magna cum laude, Alabama,Clerk for Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2005, practicing attorney
10163806

CAn the 6 month remarriage waiting period in Oklahoma divorce

Customer Question

CAn the 6 month remarriage waiting period in Oklahoma divorce cases be waived or otherwise circumvented?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  famlaw lawyer replied 8 years ago.
Only if the prior spouse is dead (and let it be known that I am not advocating murder here). Violation of the law results in a felony conviction for bigamy, so Oklahoma is pretty serious about this law.
famlaw lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: J.D. magna cum laude, Alabama,Clerk for Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2005, practicing attorney
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
I don't totally disagree with you. I understand that the law prohibits it here.As long as you remarried in another state it is legal. The Oklahoma divorce law states that you may not remarry for six months, IN THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA. Plenty of people, primarily military, remarry the same week in other states. Unless that state has a law preventing you from remarrying until a certain amount of time has elapsed after a divorce, the marriage is legal.

Here's the law..

REMARRIAGE AFTER DIVORCE:

It shall be unlawful for either party to an action for divorce whose former husband or wife is living to marry in this state a person other than the divorced spouse within six (6) months from date of decree of divorce granted in this state. [Based on Oklahoma Statutes; Title 43, Section 123]

So honestly you can remarry out of state here. Las Vegas comes ot mind for a weeknd marriage getaway..