AttorneyKaren
AttorneyKaren, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Over 14 years as a Family Law Attorney; Temporary Judge Award (2008)
11400803

My wife and i ARE SEPARATED CAN SHE GET CHILD SUPPORT BEFORE

My wife and i ARE SEPARATED CAN SHE GET CHILD SUPPORT BEFORE OUR DIVORCE IS FINAL. WE HAVEN'T EVEN FILED FOR A DIVORCE YET. ALSO,I GOT PAPERS FROM A DISTRICT CLERK OFFICES SAYING I OWE CHILD SUPPORT BUT IT'S NOT SIGNED BY A JUDGE ARE THESE PAPERS LEGAL?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyKaren replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.
Yes, your wife can get child support since the time you were separated and before the divorce is filed or finalized. Also, the amount the district clerk's office says you owe would be retroactive child support to the date of the filing. If you have been giving your wife money for child support, you should receive credit here. You may want to call the district clerk's office to file for your own motion for child support so you receive the proper credit for child support.
Best wishes here,
AttorneyKaren
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are the papers from the district clerks office for support suppose to be signed by a judge to make them legal<span class="text-15-black">? </span>