Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

divorced in alabama and at lawyers advice settle without going

Customer Question

divorced in alabama and at lawyers advice settle without going before judge. my issue is that what I have been ordered to pay in alimony and child support does not leave enough to pay bills that were established in the marriage. I argue that we lived above our means and that the order for alimony is forcing me to continue to support a lifestyle that is not real, not affordable and certainly not sustainable. I have considered hiring a different lawyer and asking the court to review. I just can't see that if you have debt (obligations) in place at the time of the divorce that a judge can force you to pay out more than you make. I have nearly exhausted any saved money attempting to keep this up but the bottom-line is I don't have enough saved to continue it for the 3 years ordered to pay alimony. what are my chances in Alabama of having this reduced based on pre-divorce debt. her attorney suggested I file bankruptcy, which seems wrong. can the court force you into to bankruptcy?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyKaren replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.
When was this order made?