Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

I live in Alabama where the legal age is 19, and I have a step

I live in Alabama where the legal age is 19, and I have a step daughter that has a one year baby that we are raising, (court custody) she was given to her mother, now the mother wants to take us to court for child support, but we are raising the daughter's baby, and the daughter does not help, the mother kicks the daughter out and she lives with whomever will take her in, which she lived with us for 3 days then moved out again, so who pays child support us or the mother & her mother ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 years ago.
You need to pay child support for your daughter. Your daughter needs to pay child support for her baby. You should challenge the support order in court to get an offfset or credit for taking care of the baby. Unless you are willing to take custody of your daughter child support must be paid. The mother is legally responsible for the daughter and can be found criminally negligent if anything happens.

If you get residential custody of your daughter the mother will need to pay you child support. Once your daughter turns 19 no child support needs to be paid.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience: OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The mother is 17 and has quit school and lives where ever, and moved out of our home to go live on her own, would this make her an adult in the courts eyes b/c she made these decisions among having a baby , which i understand that she needs to be taken care of and I and my husband have tried to get her live here , she refuses help! And also was made by the court here to do drug classes as well as parenting classes and she has failed to do, and DHR is tired of her, so would the courts knowing she is incapable of structure and abiding by the law make an acception and see that she is deemed an adult, which she got an attorney to do but she never shown in court for ( she stood her attorney up)? * The grandmother who the money go to is on drugs that is one of the reasons as is the mother of the baby. we just don't know what to do, but care for this baby that is in the middle of all of this.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 years ago.
Alabama allows a custodial parent to file for emancipation of the child once she hits 18 (1 day later). The court will decide if it is appropriate to relieve the child from parental constraint ( dsiabilities of nonage). Statute section is below.

TITLE 26. INFANTS AND INCOMPETENTS
CHAPTER 13. RELIEF OF MINOR CHILDREN FROM DISABILITIES OF NONAGE
SECTION 26

Section 26-13. When authorized; procedure generally.

The several juvenile courts of the state are authorized to relieve minors over 18 years of age from the disabilities of nonage in the following cases and none other:

(1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he is the guardian of such minor.

1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he is the guardian of such minor.