Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

How does my husband go about terminating his parental rights

Customer Question

How does my husband go about terminating his parental rights in Texas? The child is 5 now and he has never had any contact with it, didnt even know until just recently.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
You can only give up you rights as far as visitation and legal responsibility for the chil's actions. You will still be obligated to pay support. The only way to get out of child support is to have the child adopted.

To terminate rights you will need to file some affidavits establishing that you are the father, your actions are voluntary and you understand what you are doing, and a motion that that terminates parental rights.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So there is nothing we can do to cut all ties to the child?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
You can cut all ties except for paying child support. Child support stops when someone else starts paying like an adoptive father.