Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

Hello, My question involves relocating with my six year old

Hello, My question involves relocating with my six year old daughter. I live in Arizona and recentley recieved sole custody. Her mother is a recovering drug addict with every other weekend visits and some holidays. I am enlisting in the army as a wheeled mechanic, automotive repair has been my job for 10 years now and I am able to enter as a specialist. My wife,my daughters step mom will be there to take care of her through all of this. My question is this..in the state of Arizona what are the laws pertaining to relocating and in your professional opinion how do you think I stand.Thank you for your time.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Relocation may be difficult because just because a parent has sole custody does not mean you can relocate. You will need either permission of the mother or permission from the court before you leave. Courts generally grant relocation requests when the other parent is not involved in the child's life at all. If the court granted alternating weekends and holidays then you will have to be able to show how your relocation will not affect a regular and meaningful bond with the daughter and mother.