Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice

my wife filed child custody and shild support againest me ,

Customer Question

my wife filed child custody and shild support againest me , and am in maryland and the court in new york where she lives , they sent me the court papers and i dont know wut i should do ? and i send her money by western union every week almost and i visited my baby almost 12 times in 3 and half month , my court date is the 10 of february 2009 , i need to knw please wut i should do ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

You are going to need to get an attorney in New York to represent you here. You can search for an attorney specializing in family law in the area in NY that you need.

You will want to file an answer or objection to the paperwork she filed if you do not agree to it, and you will need to go to court on the Feb 10 date unless you can get the date postponed. In order to try for this, you would need to file a motion to continue with the court, explaining the reasons why you believe the hearing should be postponed. You could also request that the court allow you to appear by telephone. You can call the clerk's office at the courthouse where your ex filed the paperwork and tell them that you want to appear by telephone and ask if they can send you the forms you need to request this.

In any event, you really should have a NY attorney representing and protecting your interests here.