Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

I am married and have three daughters ages 20, 18, and 15.

I am married and have three daughters ages 20, 18, and 15. I messed up and had an affair and now she is pregnant. She wants total control of everything. She has the attitude that she will do what she pleases and I will pay for it. What are my rights? How will child support be calculated? Don't want to get over, just don't want to be screwed. We live in Texas.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

In order for me to better answer, I want to make sure that I am understanding you correctly. When you say "she" wants total control and that "she" will do what she pleases that you are talking about the woman with whom you had the affair? And the child support question is child support for the new baby, correct?

I will look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the woman with whom I had the affair and the new baby.

Thanks for that information.

You are absolutely right, as a legal parent, you would have parental rights and responsibilities to your child. You will need to be named on the birth certificate as the father and execute an Acknowledgment of Paternity once the baby is born so that you do have legal parental rights to the baby. If you don't do this, and if she is contesting this, you would need to request that the court make a finding of paternity, at which point you can then petition for custody rights.

The rights would include physical such as custody or visitation schedule and decision-making regarding your child, the right to weigh in on medical, educational and religious decisions for example, as well as day to day decisions while the child is in your care.

The responsibilities would be financial such as paying child support if you are the non-custodial parent and she is the custodial parent (meaning the child is primarily residing with her), paying for health insurance and uninsured expenses.

Here is an on-line child support calculator for the state of Texas so that you can input the proper numbers and determine what your child support obligation will likely be.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you well here.

I just noticed that the website to the TX child support calculator didn't attach to my last post. Sorry about that.

Here it is - just click on the link to "Child Support Calculator" on the left.

http://www.childsupportweb.com/cse/statepages/Texas.php