How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40665
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good evening. Im looking for a lawyer to help me with a situation

Customer Question

Good evening.
I'm looking for a lawyer to help me with a situation in which my ex-husband refuses to refinance the vehicle that we had in both of our names. My divorce has been granted for 2.5 years now and I have since re-married. He has never been late on payments; however, I am in the process of getting a mortgage loan and need my name taken off of the vehicle loan so that it can be removed from my credit report, so that my debt to income ratio is better to get the loan with. I have asked him for the past year to get it refinanced and he refuses saying it will make his payments go up. My divorce papers state that he is the sole owner of the vehicle and that I have nothing to do with payment since the divorce. Through my research I have found that a judge can make him refinance it and that is all that I want. If you can help us in any way, it would be greatly appreciated. In addition, I am stationed in Washington D.C., my ex is in Ohio which is my state of permanent residence
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Your legal remedy here is to file for contempt here. He has not complied here with the terms of the decree. The forms below will work for you to file in Ohio where the divorce was granted here.

You may have to tweak them a little her for your facts. But they would be in compliance with Ohio law to seek contempt for his failure to comply here. You can certainly give this a shot here pro se and maybe you can force this issue. The facts and the law are on your side here. I wish you good luck here..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.