acmoler
acmoler, Attorney
Experience:  Juris Doctor Degree, Advanced law degree in Taxation, over 21 years of experience
14422087

My fiance is in a county jail in upstate NY. We have made

My fiance is in a county jail in upstate NY. We have made several attempts to obtain a marriage license but are hitting a lot of road blocks. No one will help. We have the application but he can't appear before the clerk to sign the license...what can we do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  acmoler replied 8 years ago.
Why don't you wait until he gets out of jail and then get the marriage license. This will solve the problem.

acmoler
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We want to get married now before he goes into prison for 2yrs. If waiting was an option we would.
Expert:  acmoler replied 8 years ago.
You can't force the government to work with you on this issue. Can you take the documentation with to to see him in the jail?

acmoler
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can send him documents through the mail. He has already filled out the marriage license application as have I. what we need is the marriage certificate and supposedly both parties have to be present in front of the clerk to sign. I am not sure if this is indeed true or if a notary will do just as well? Will they just give me a marriage license signed by me and let me mail it to him to be signed in front of a notary??
Expert:  acmoler replied 8 years ago.
contacts the clerk's office and ask them if this is possible. Ask them if it must be signed by both of you in the presence of a clerk or if a notary will do.

acmoler

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I guess I kind of expected that someone might know for sure what would work. I went on the NAACP website myself and found that no one has the right to withold any type of license because of their criminal records...I am going with the fact that it seems almost a civil rights violation. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  acmoler replied 8 years ago.
They are not withholding a license. The government does not have to provide personnel to go to the jail or make special arrangements for your boyfriend. It is not a civil rights issue.

acmoler