Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

My ex wife has been indicted on 3 counts of drug trafficking

My ex wife has been indicted on 3 counts of drug trafficking and will be going to trial. She is constanly moving our daughter to different towns and to differents boyfriends. Our daughter is 12 and I have had enough. Do I have a good case to get custody? I am married , I work and have lived in the same place for over 7 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What a terrible situation for your daughter to be in. You would have a strong case to get custody of your child -- the court will consider all factors it deems relevant in determining what is in the best interest of your child. The potential harm that could come to her in light of her mother's illegal activities and the dangerous environment to which she's exposed with mom and your stability would all be factors heavily weighing in your favor for your custody case. While the court would consider the preference of your child, her preference is not the only factor the court will consider. Your daughter may very well be hesitant to say she wants to live with you because of the consequences she fears or for fear of disappointing her mom. You may also want to consider counseling for your child.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you the best.