Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am a 36 year old Single father of a wonderful 3y.o. son.

I am a 36 year old Single father of a wonderful 3y.o. son. I have three other sons with a woman I was married to for 9 years. I had a career in law enforcement which was deminished a fter finding my wife in bed with a fellow police Officer. I now pay 905.00 a month child support which I fell 16,000 in arrears after losing my career and becoming a car salesman. Child support then ordered a monthly court hearing to follow up on my case in which I missed a court date and an warrant was issued. It was an honest mistake and I did not intend on intentionally missing this date. I am at the present moment layed off of my ob at the mines in Nevada and am to be called back to work in March of this year. This job that I have now is the only job I have found where I can support my son and myself and make my court ordered child support payments. I to get this resolved what are my options? I can make the 905 payment w/ my unemployment checks til I go back to work.

I am happy to assist you.

The court's order for child support must be followed until the court issues a new order. You will need to petition to modify child support.

Generally speaking child support can always be modified by the Court based on a change in circumstances affecting the best interests of the child. Your lack of employment may qualify. Be prepared to tell the Court that you also support one son living with you.

I advise you to use a lawyer. A lawyer can get an emergency hearing quickly. If you cannot afford a lawyer, try Legal Aid. They can represent you based on your income.

If you cannot hire a lawyer you will need to copy the forms at your local law library or purchase a software package online. Here is the site: http://www.divorcesource.com

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE