Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

I am currently paying maintenance to my ex and three children.

I am currently paying maintenance to my ex and three children. My eldest son is at university and receives a full grant. he is not dependeble on either parent for finacial support and will be shortley taking a year away from uni to go on two work placements found for him by the uni. Both these placements will pay him an additional £800-£1000 per month as well as his grant. My ex receives £260 per month for him of which he receives nothing. Would it be possible to give him the money directly or can I stop maintenance for him altogether. The order says I have to pay her maintenance till the children are of tertuory age, but if he is financially independent whats the money for?
You can not give the money to your son because the order requires payment to your ex. It may be possible to seek a termination of the funds to your ex for the son at univerisity but you will have to file in court to seek the termination and supply proof he is self sufficient. If you just stop paying you will be in violation of the court order.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I can supply proof he is self sufficient what are the chances?
No once can answer that question because its purely up to the court to determine if it believes your son is not in need of the support