How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband has an arears from child support. He has paid child

Resolved Question:

my husband has an arears from child support. He has paid child support through but not quite enough and now they say he is in contempt of court by letter he received from her attorney what does this mean and what can be done abour it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.

A letter from the attorney is basically a threat to take more serious action. Once the entitled spouse files with the CSEA (child support enforcement agency) the local prosecutor will become involved and issue a summons for a hearing on the support issue. This is basically a criminal proceeding. Your husband will need to explain what is going on, and provide a commitment to pay the arrears. This might involve an increase of what he is currently paying. The prosecutor will drop the charges if the arears is paid. If a payment plan is worked out you husband could get probation or just a delayed hearing to assure payments are being made.


You husband should re-evaluate his financial position if changes have occurred since his initial support order. If his income has decreased through no intended fault of his own he can ask for a modification to lower the support amount.



If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.


Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions