Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have lived with my female partner for 9 years. She has asked

Customer Question

I have lived with my female partner for 9 years. She has asked me to move. the house is in her name, as well as the household bills. She has owned this house for about 15 years. Since I have been here I have split the bills evenly with her on a monthly basis. She is given a personal check by me evry month reflecting a even split in the bills, including the mortgage. a notation is made on my check to her indicating " Bills and Mortgage". Do I have any rights regarding any payback monies, or property rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
You're not entitled to the return of any money you've paid over in consideration of living expenses.

If you're not on the deed, you don't have any ownership rights in the property. However, if you pay "rent" by your monthly payments, you are entitled to a 30 day notice to vacate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are there palimony rights in New York State, and how does that effect a situation like the one I have explained?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
Unless you have a written contract that expressly states you're entitled to a refund of any money paid over or that you're entitled to a property interest in the house, you don't have a legal argument to recover.

There must be a clear agreement, written or oral, by both partners stipulating the extent of financial sharing and/or support in order for palimony to be granted.