socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My Mother left a will leaving everything to me. Can my sister

My Mother left a will leaving everything to me. Can my sister force this will into probate or is probate only when you don't have a will
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

If you and your sister are adults, then the Will will be presumed to be the true expression of intent of the testatory. Your sister could always challenge the Will as the product of fraud, duress, undue influence or the product of a testator who was not of sound mind when the Will was executed.

But, if there are two witnesses, each of whom observed the testator sign or acknowledgte the Will, and who also signed the Will swearing to that observation, then it will be nearly impossible to challenge the instrument -- unless there is some independent evidence proving that the testator wasn't competent to execute the Will at the time it was signed.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.