Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

I am from Minnesota and my daughter came for Christmas and

I am from Minnesota and my daughter came for Christmas and she is 15 years of age and she lives in Washington State with her father. She does not want to go back. would that be kiddnapping if I did not send her back. Her father knows where I live and my phone number. Could he put me in jail. How could he hold me in contemp of court. How does that work.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

If you violate a court order he could hold you in contempt of court. He can not do so immediately. All 50 states will enforce each others custody orders. There is an intermediate step to get the state to accept another state's order but it will happen.

You could face some jail time if found in contempt. It is the court that would put you in jail. Kidnapping is a little strong since you have the child with the fathers permission. You must comply with the court's visitation order and send the child back. The only exception is if you know the child will be in danger or the subject of physical and emotional abuse. Then you must file for an emergency hearing.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.