Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I was laid off from my job before Christmas. Can I postpone/

I was laid off from my job before Christmas. Can I postpone/ reduce my child support payment. My relationship with the Mother is non existant and in fact because of the animosity I have not seen my son for 3 years. What are my options? Please advise, thanks, Phil
You would need to return to court and file a motion to change/modify support and show a substantial change in circumstances such that the decrease is justified. Also, if she has not been in compliance with any visitation/custody order, then you should file a motion for contempt for that at the same time. I strongly suggest you hire an attorney to assist you with this endeavor.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.