Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

me & my hubby are splitting up, my dad bought our car but my

me & my hubby are splitting up, my dad bought our car but my hubby is on the log book. who is the legal owner?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.

Thank you contacting the JA team of experts for guidance.

When you say your husband is on the log book, I understand you to mean that the car is registered with the state in his name; ie, his name is XXXXX XXXXX title. A family court is a court of equity and not strictly bound by legalities. If your father bought the car but they did not transfer title into your father's name (and this can be proved), the court is likely not to consider the car as marital property. However, your father should get the title transferred into his name ASAP so the transfer is complete.

I hope this answers your question. I'm sorry your marriage is breaking down. The best to you this new year.