N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

My mother in law has wants access to our childern for vists,

My mother in law has wants access to our childern for vists, there has been an ugly family breakdown, she has a prescription drug addiction, what rights does she have and should we be thinking about briefing a lawyer. This is one expense we dont need at the moment but will do if required.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago.
In most states grandparents have no legally enforceable rights to visit a grandchild. Visitation is at the discretion of the parent who has custody.

It is normal for her to want to see her grandchildren, but it is at the discretion of the parents.

If you tell me what state this is in I can look for more specific information, but nothing the State does is likely to conflict with Troxel v Granville where the US Supreme Court limited grandparents rights, see

I hope this information is helpful.