How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 103977
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok, Im going through a divorce and I am 21, my husband is 33.

Customer Question

Ok, Im going through a divorce and I am 21, my husband is 33. We have been together since I was 16! We have a daughter together and he wants full custody, child support, and for her to reside with him. He has 5 other childeren that he doesnt pay child support. My baby is 8mths. What should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You should get an attorney and go to court and file for custody on your own. Generally, the Texas courts will give a child of that young age to the mother, unless the father is able to prove you are unfit. The fact he does not care for his other children would also be in your favor. You should find an attorney and seek to get custody, child support and spousal support for yourself.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fact that he had sexual relationship with me from the time I was 16 wouldnt play some part in him being unfit from the beginning! From August 11,2008 to December 12,2008 I went to the Police Academy. I am now certified. He couldn't help me pay for daycare so then he voluntarily kept the baby so that I could finish. He feels like cause he filed for divorce and petitioned for custody, that that makes him the managing conservator of my child. I frequently visited her day by day and had her for every holiday and weekend. He really didnt have to do too much of nothing! He was never home! His girlfriend took care of my baby. I had no idea that she was doing this, he had me under the impression that my child was in a home facility being taken care of by a credible woman who ode him a favor. This went on not even 2 months. I go and get my child and he tells me that if i dont bring her back that he was going to call the police on me for kidnapping. So, I get home and he asks me to agree on 2 weeks and I told him no. He threatens me with kidnapping after voluntarily giving me my child and he knew once I graduated that I was coming to get her and then he tells me how long I can keep her. Wait, his sister is his lawyer! Do I have a good case and what evidence do I need to support having my daughter in my custody verses him! He filed on me does this mean I will have to pay his attorney's fees?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Without a court order of custody, if you failed to bring the child back it is not kidnapping, since both parents have equal rights to their child. Also, just because you used him for child care does not mean he has primary rights to custody. You still have a case for your own custody. Also, you will not have to pay his attorney's fees he will pay his own and you need to hire your own attorney as well. Also, you do need to be extra cautious if you are a police officer because you do not want to get him to the point where he goes to IAD to make complaints against you and causes you trouble at work.

All you need to do is prove the relationship you have with your daughter, the fact that you can provide a good home and living environment and can support her. The courts favor joint/shared custody if they believe the parents can get along together to handle the arrangement. If not, generally, the courts still lean towards giving custody to the mother and especially so with a daughter.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions