P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My father has full custody of my sister yet has allowed her

My father has full custody of my sister yet has allowed her to live with my grandmother since around November of 2000. My mother also lives with my grandmother and has re-opened the child support case. Should my father have to pay child support while he has full custody of a nearly 18 year old?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
if your father has custody, he would not typically pay support.

If your mom is arguing that she now has custody, and can demonstrate this to the court, she may be able to persuade the court to grant her both custody and support. But she will need to take the case back to court and prove to the judge that she deserves custody (and therefore support)

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.    

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She has recently applied for welfare and is short on money and that may also contribute to this decision. My father has retained custody of my sister and I since about 1999 but has only let my sister live with my grandmother since the passing of my grandfather in 2000. He shouldn't have to worry about paying the support if he still has full legal custody, correct?