Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Can a teenager be forced to stay for the entire visit at a

Customer Question

Can a teenager be forced to stay for the entire visit at a noncustodial parent's home against his/her will?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A court order must be followed until it is modified. You can move to modify the visitation.

Parenting plans/visitation can always be modified by the Court based on the best interests of the child. However, grounds for modification must include a change in circumstances that significantly impacts the best interests of the child. A change in the preference of a teenager may suffice as grounds for a modification hearing.

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Typically, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child, the child's reasons for requesting the change and the environment that the child will be moving into.

That said, the court will typically give great weight to your daughter's wishes, but would not be bound by them.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLANDNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE