Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

What do I need to do to adopt an 18 year old homeless youth

What do I need to do to adopt an 18 year old homeless youth? How much will it cost?

An 18 year old is an adult. What is your purpose in adopting an adult?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need a family and so does he. We'd both like to make it legal. I want to put him through college and on a mission for our church. We'd like to be a real family, not just roommates. We'd really like the legal paper that says we are parent and child, even though he doesn't need me to wipe his nose or raise him from childhood.

I am happy to assist you.

An adoption of an 18 year old is very straight forward and generally not very costly. It would terminate the biological parent's rights and make you the child's legal father.

The process, generally speaking, is to file a petition to terminate the biological f parental rights and to permit an adoption. The process is simpler if the biological father consents as well. However if consent is not possible, the court may waive the biological father's consent based upon the majority of the child (18).

Generally speaking, an adult adoption is a fairly streamlined process.

First you complete a petition and file it with the court. After you file the petition, the court may do a home study of your family, however this step may be waived by the court. Finally there will be a hearing to finalize the adoption.

The forms and procedures will need to be followed completely,

If you cannot retain an attorney then you can copy the forms at your local law library or buy the forms on line complete with instructions. I found a site with state specific forms that you can use. Here is the link for Rapid Law:

Best of luck with your family.

If you have any additional questions that you would like me to assist you with, you can start your question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.