Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

In Virginia, how long does the father have to pay child support

In Virginia, how long does the father have to pay child support? Does child support stop at age 18 or at the completion of high school graduation. Do I still have to pay child support if the child goes to college. When does child support stop? thank you
In VA child support ends at age 18. But if your child has not yet graduated from highschool support will continue until age 19 or graduation which ever event happens first. Support does not continue for college unless you specifically agreed to be bound in writing.

Virginia

Termination of support at 18; unless child is in high school, in which case support terminates at 19 or graduation, whichever comes first

No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.

You can see the VA child support profile on this issue here.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. My question is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with me. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This ruling on my case was made in Vineyard Haven, MA where they ruled (because of state law) that I had to continue paying support through college. I have now resided in VA for over six months and this is now my permeant residence. So can I now go to court here and have my support modify to end payments of a child that is now in college?
thank you
Thank you for your reply. I just noticed your additional information come in after I posted my answer. No, you won't be able to change it. Since MA was the state that issued the original order, the termination date of that state is considered a "non modifiable" term and that law continues to have exclusive jurisdiction regardless if you move to a new state. Virginia can only allow modifications but will not be able to use its laws to terminate as the termination date will be controlled by the issuing state which was MA. The law was created this way in order to avoid parents from forum shopping to cut short child support.

In MA support can continue when a child is in college if the child is living at home and financially dependent on the parent while attending college to accomplish an undergraduate degree.

Since MA issued the original orders, VA will not permit you to terminate support as MA laws control when child support ends.

You can review more about this non-modifiable term here,.

Massachusetts

Termination of support at 18, or to 21 if child is domiciled with parent, or age 23 if enrolled in an education program

Mass. Gen. Laws. Ch. 208, § 28 allows a court to render an order for support for a child between the ages of 18 and 21 who is domiciled in the home of a parent and principally dependent upon said parent for support. See Doe v. Roe, 32 Mass. App. Ct. 63, 585 N.E.2d 340 (1992).