Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I have visitation rights with my 6 year old daughter today.

Customer Question

I have visitation rights with my 6 year old daughter today. My ex has her and refuses to let me see her, but with no explnation. Is this parental kidnapping? Should I call the police or just wait for the court to deal with this later?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
No, parental kidnapping is the intentional taking of the child away from the state or the child's place of residence or away from the designated custodial parent. If mom has court ordered custody rights, then this would not be considered parental kidnapping, but it is definitely a violation of your visitation rights, which is enforced through the courts by filing a motion to contempt.

Below for your review are the Kidnapping and custodial intereference statutes of TN:

Kidnapping and False Imprisonment
39-13-301. Part definitions. —
39-13-302. False imprisonment. —
39-13-303. Kidnapping. —
39-13-304. Aggravated kidnapping. —
39-13-305. Especially aggravated kidnapping. —
39-13-306. Custodial interference. —

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, that is the only way I get paid. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
very helpful, thank you
My pleasure, glad to be of service.