Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

How can I become my parents legal caregiver Theyre both elderly

How can I become my parents legal caregiver? They're both elderly and I now take care of their bills, take them shopping and have updated their home. Problem is I have a brother who is a drug addict and comes and goes as he pleases and always steals from them. I need to keep him out of the house.

If your parents have the mental capacity to do so, they can each execute a power of attorney to give you the authority to make certain legal and financial transactions for them. Since your parents are elderly, it is a good idea to get an opinion letter from their treating physicians that they are mentally competent to enter legal transactions so that there is no question as to the validity of the power of attorney.

If your parents are not mental competent to sign a legal document, you can petition the court to give you a guardianship (sometimes called conservatorship) over your parents, so that you can handle their legal and financial affairs for them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My mom has Alzheimers. Can my dad sign the power of attorney? Also, would I be able to get a restraining order against my brother with the power of attorney?

No, your father cannot sign the power of attorney for your mother. It has to be her choice.

Yes, depending on the circumstances, you may be able to obtain a restraining order against your brother using the power of attorney. You would file the petition on behalf of your parents, and the court may appoint guardians for them to represent their interests from there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even if she has alzheimers, she has to sign the power of attorney? And last but not least can I draw up the power of attorney myself?

She would have to sign it. However, if she does not have the legal capacity, she cannot legally execute a power of attorney, and you would have to go the guardian route as mentioned above.

You can find a power of attorney form here: