Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

I am currently paying child support and my ex does not think

Customer Question

I am currently paying child support and my ex does not think it is enough. I have my two kids about 45% of the year because they live in a different city. I have them during summer months, holiday breaks, and every other weekend. she makes more money than i do. i need to know how to calculate how much is fair. It is not fair to pay her more if I have them almost half the time
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

What state is this?

Is there a current court-ordered child support amount?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The state is colorado. there is no court-ordered arrangement. I help her on my own. in addition to monthly cash, i buy the kids things they need like clothes. I also buy her food sometimes

Child support in Colorado is determined by guidelines adopted by the legislature. The amount is calculated by taking into account both parents' incomes, and might be adjusted in your favor based on the fact that you have almost 50% physical custody.

The Colorado Judicial Branch has the worksheet for figuring child support online at:

Another unofficial link to help you figure the correct amount is here:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this is info i already have
I'm sorry. I didn't see that you had this information in your "already tried" section. Your question was how to calculate a fair child support amount. Child support is determined strictly using the guidelines I gave you links to. Do you have a follow up question?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i already have done these calculators and it does not calculate payments with time i have the kids, it only goes by income and who the kids "live with"

The amount you calculate using the guidelines is considered the "presumptive amount" which you would pay if you had a typical visitation arrangement where you would see the kids maybe one night over the weekend and a couple days during the week. The amount is lowered in a shared parenting arrangement such as the one you have (where the non-custodial parent has a minimum of 93 overnights per year).

The amount of the adjustment is not set by guidelines, but is in the discretion of the court. If your spouse makes more than you, and you have the kids 45% of the time, your situation may call for no child support or very low child support payments.