Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

An 18 year old does not have to become emancipated, correct

An 18 year old does not have to become emancipated, correct? If that child is still in high school and was receiving social securtiy while 17 are they still not entitled when they are 18 and still in school. Can they have the checks sent directly to them in their name?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-What state are you in?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
State of New York.
The age of legal emancipation in NY is 21, unless the the court decides otherwise based upon the person supporting themselves and living on their own. However, NY has no law regarding the age of emancipation. Thus, at least until 21 the child is considered a dependent minor. As far as the death benefit going directly to him, because he is not considered emancipated in NY until 21 or an order of the court, the benefit should still be going to his parent responsible for him.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.