How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 103880
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

do grandparents in california have legal rights to visitat

Resolved Question:

do grandparents in california have legal rights to visitation?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-Are the parents unmarried or divorced?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

re: grandparents rights in california, My daughter passed away seven years ago on May 11,2001. at the time she was married to a man named Jamie. she was already pregnant with her third child. my husband and i had guardianship of her first two children. subsequently, she had 2 additional children. the three children are now a girl,jackie age ll, and 2 boys mikie age 9 and ralphie age 7. I might mention my daughter had a problem with the truth and on her autopsy report it read that she had bipolar disorder. which explains a lot of the problems with jamie and his not wanting us to see his children. we have respected his demand that we stay away from him and his family that he delivered to my husband via the phone call he made to tell us that he had put our daughter in the ground that am,and etc,etc,etc.. we already had a full plate with the other two children, working full time and my husband is disabled. then about 2 months ago we inadvertantly found out that the girl not only was in foster care, she has been there for the last seven years. he and the two boys have been living in homeless shelters for approximately 2 years. the guardian of jackie has let us meet her and also let us take her to knotts berry farm and we have had several occasions with her. when jamie found out about it he restated that we will never see the boys. he also this weekend on a visit told jackie some of the awful stories my daughter told him. some if held a form of the truth but most was twisted to suit her needs. i'm not blaming her (she was sick),not him. he was having faith in her that she was telling the truth. my concern is, do we have any rights to see the children? we dont want to get custody of them or have them live with us. he can raise them the best he can. i understand from other sources that they are very wild and mikie has a very bad temper. his brother that we raised, gregory, also has a very bad temper, i think both of them are from the loss of their mother. this could go on and on, but you get the picture. sue










Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

The California Family Code 3103-3104 permits grandparents to litigate visitation rights if a child’s parents divorce, even on the objections of both parents. It also permits the litigation of collateral issues arising from the existence of grandparents’ visitation rights, including using such rights as a “factor” to order a change of residence of the child (3103(f)) or providing for the resolution of additional child support issues relating to the grandparents’ visits (3103(g)). If parent deceased, parents and grandparents of the deceased parent get visitation if in child's best interest. The court must find that there is a preexisting relationship between the grandparents and the grandchild such that visitation is in the child's best interest, and the court must balance the interest of the child in having visitation with the parents' right to exercise their parental authority. Family Code, Section 3100 et seq. Factors considered by the court are: (1) child's preference (if child is old enough); (2) desire and ability of each parent to allow relationship with other parent, and (3) child's health, safety and welfare. Family Code § 3020-3424.

Thus, as a grandparent, especially in the situation you describe, you can file a petition for custody/visitation and it would likely be granted by the courts.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 103880
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: