How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116215
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have legal custody of my son. When he goes with his father

Resolved Question:

I have legal custody of my son. When he goes with his father every othere weekend, I have no idea of where he is being taken. He will not provide an address and when I ask him he says that he does not have to give it. Is this true? Also, I was threatened by his sister-in-law over the phone that she was going to kill me. Is there something that I can do to make sure that my child is safe when he goes over to his fathers? Can I get a restraining order? Isn't it against the law to threaten someone?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You have the right to know where the child is going when he is staying with the father during visitation. If he is refusing to provide this information you would need to file a motion to compel in the court that issued the order and a motion to change/modify visitation to get an order of the court to mandate your knowing the location. As far as the sister-in-law communicating such threats over the phone is a violation of the telephone communications laws and you should report the threat to the police. Also, you can obtain a restraining order against her to keep her away from you and the child (if you fear for the safety of the child based on her threats) and you would do this either through the filing of the criminal charges against her or by going to the clerk of court's office where she resides and asking the clerk for the form to file for the restraining order.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions